A portion of the proceeds will go to benefit the
Central Mississippi Blues Society.
This is our 4th annual Blues and Bones Art and Music Festival. This year's festivities will include the Central Mississippi Blues Society's qualifying contest for the International Blues Competition in Memphis, various artist and vendors, barbecue chicken for sampling, celebrity judges for the cook-off and much more. Space is still available for anyone wishing to participate....Any questions please contact us through the contact us tab at the top of the page.
BLUES & BONES
BACKYARD GRILLING COMPETITION
AUGUST 31, 2013
- ·$100 entry fee (4 passes)
- ·12:00pm Sign in and Setup
- ·Grills must be charcoal or wood burning only. Total grill cooking area is no larger than 12 square feet. Teams must provide all ingredients and materials needed for cooking.
- ·All food must be served dry. Any sauce must be served on the side. Store bought dry rubs and sauces are not allowed.
- ·The internal temperature required for pork product is 155 degrees Fahrenheit. Other meat such as beef, poultry and exotic meat must cook to 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- ·Good hygienic practices (hand washing) must be observed by contestants.
- ·Judging will be held in for each category, consisting of blind judging only. Samples will be judged by independent judges on appearance, taste, tenderness, and creativity using a score card system. As containers are received, they will be encoded with a unique code number, known only to the Judging Committee. The label with your team name will be removed when you turn in your sample. The samples will be judged under those code numbers and the scores will be given to the code numbers, not to team names. The judges will not be told whose product they are tasting.
- ·SAMPLE PREPARATION: Each team will be given one blind judging sample container for each category plus one cup with a lid for optional sauce and/or dry rubs. When you turn in these containers to the blind judging check stations, they may not contain anything other than meat and sauce and/or dry rubs. No garnish is allowed. Entries must be submitted only in the provided containers. Sample containers will be screened before the judges see them. Placing anything other than ribs in the sample container or making any marks on either the sample container or the sauce cups will result in disqualification. COMPLETELY FILL YOUR CONTAINER.
- ·You are responsible for the on time delivery of your blind judging sample. If you are in the check in line at the appointed time, your sample will be accepted.
- ·Prizes will be given to the winner of each category and are awarded based on the highest total scores received during the blind judging rounds. There will also be prizes given to the Grand Champion (The team scoring the best in all four categories.